In accordance with ACGME rules and regulations, the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, will implement the following rules to regulate its residency training programs:
1. All Residents will receive one day off in seven when averaged over a four-week period. One day is defined as one continuous 24-hour period free from all clinical, educational, and administrative activities.
2. Trainee duty hours will be limited to 80 hours per week, averaged over a four-week period, inclusive of all in-house call activities. Any hours spent during home call involving clinical duties will also be counted towards the 80 hour limit.
3. Continuous on-site duty will not exceed 24 consecutive hours. Trainees may remain on duty for up to four additional hours to participate in transfer of patient care and/or to maintain continuity of medical care. During these four additional hours the trainee will not be responsible for the workup, admission, or care of a new patient. There must be at least 14 hours free of duty after 24 hours of in-house duty.
4. In-house call takes place no more than once every three nights (when averaged over a four-week period).
5. There will be a 10-hour duty-free period (absolute minimum of 8 hours) between clinical duty periods, including post-call.
6. Moonlighting will not be permitted.